- 14 oz lean smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 2 tbs minced garlic
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 5 cups fat free chicken broth
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- Combine a dash of each of the following spices: paprika, black pepper, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, & thyme.
- Heat a large sauce pan on medium heat with cooking spray and brown onions, celery, and bell peppers for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, bay leaves, worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce.
- Stir in rice and slowly add chicken broth.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- In a separate pan, spray with cooking spray and brown sausage. Set aside.
- Remove cover and cook until rice is tender (about 15 minutes).
- Mix in sausage and spice-mix and cook for an additional few minutes.
For a CRUISE PHASE FRIENDLY dish — omit brown rice, increase diced tomatoes to 1 cup, decrease chicken broth to 2.5 cups, and cook uncovered for a total of 15 minutes before moving to step 7.