I’ve said it in a past post and I’ll say it again: Shirataki noodles are the best! Not so much because the taste of them is so fantastic (because really, they taste like nothing) but because they are so pleasantly low in carbs, fat, and calories. Moreover, they’re a nice allowed substitute for pasta on the Dukan Diet. With that said, I am ecstatic to say the macaroni shirataki noodles are not an urban myth as I have found them! Yes, they are located in the vegetarian refrigerated section of Whole Foods Market. I have a pretty love-hate relationship with Whole Foods. The love comes from their giant selection of pretty much anything and everything you could want in a supermarket. On the other hand, the hate comes from how tremendously overpriced everything is. Luckily, the shirataki noodles ran me only $2.19 a pop.
So, with my shirataki macaroni discovery comes a dish that, like many, I have been dying to have on the Dukan Diet: Bacon Mac N Cheese!
First, make a 1/3 portion of the Oat Bran Breadcrumbs recipe found here. (or make a full portion of the recipe and save the remaining breadcrumbs for later)
Then, follow the recipe below.
- oat bran breadcrumbs
- 2 packs shirataki macaroni noodles
- 4 slices center-cut bacon (6% fat or less)
- 1 cup fat free shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 3/4 skim cup milk
- 2 tbs reduced fat parmesan
- 1 1/2 tbs corn starch
- 1/2 ts mustard
- 1/2 egg, beaten
- 1/2 ts salt
- 1/4 ts paprika
- 1/2 ts parsley
- 1/2 ts basil
- 1/4 ts pepper
- Fry bacon until extra crispy. Set aside on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- After a few minutes, cut bacon into small bits.
- Strain macaroni and rinse with hot water. Microwave for one minute and discard any extra water.
- Dissolve cornstarch in a few tbs of hot water.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Heat milk on medium-high in a sauce pan and slowly whisk in cornstarch mixture, paprika, and mustard.
- Whisking constantly, bring mixture to a boil and immediately turn heat to low.
- Add cheese, sour cream, egg, salt, pepper, basil, parsley, and half of the bacon bits.
- Stir until cheese is melted and turn off heat.
- Add macaroni and combine with cheese sauce. Pour into a baking dish.
- Mix remaining bacon with breadcrumbs and parmesan and generously sprinkle on mac n cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Finish in the broiler for 2 minutes or until a golden crust forms.