In my current attempt to diet and lead a healthier lifestyle, I have cut out fast food almost completely (I say almost because of my little Popeyes incident). One fast food item I miss the most is the chicken nugget. Ah, good ol’ pressed chicken mumbo jumbo, breaded, and deep fat fried – mmmMm! My favorite are the Spicy Chicken Nuggets from Wendy’s with the Honey Mustard dipping sauce. I had the whole ignorance-is-bliss thing going on for awhile and I must say, it was good times. Unfortunately, a friend of mine posted a picture on her Facebook that turned my mind and my stomach.
It was a picture of this mushy, pink thing very much resembling strawberry soft serve ice cream. The caption read, “You’ll never guess what this is!” Yes..yes..it was the base of my beloved chicken nugget with bones, intestines, and all processed into this pink goo. Ya know, before the food coloring and molding into nugget form. Just beautiful, don’t you think?
After telling that story, I am more thankful now than ever that I found this recipe. These chicken nuggets are coated with oat bran, parmesan, and spices and baked to perfection. Good food made with good ingredients — What a concept!
- 2 chicken breasts, cut about 2 inches wide and about 3/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup parmesan (finely shredded if not already in powder form)
- 1/2 ts garlic powder
- 1/4 ts paprika
- 1/2 ts onion powder
- 1/4 ts salt
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients in a shallow bowl.
- Beat egg whites in a separate bowl.
- Dip nuggets into egg whites and let all the excess drip off.
- Coat nuggets in oat bran mixture and place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes on one side and 5 minutes on the other.
- Finish in the broiler for about 2-3 minutes to get that touch of crunchiness.
- Serve with low fat honey mustard. I recommend the Kraft Light Honey Dijon as pictured to the right.