The biggest complaint about shirataki noodles is the smell that comes from the liquid they’re packaged in. Not only does the liquid give it an odd smell but also adds a sliminess to the texture. The package directions tell you to microwave the noodles and strain any excess water. However, I began using some additional steps to help better the taste and texture of these noodles. It will take a bit more time but it is well worth it. The steps will be listed in the directions of the recipe.
Like most of the world’s population, garlic is one of the great loves of my life. I eat it religiously! One of my favorite garlic dishes is the garlic noodles dish. Garlic noodles is a asian-style dish that many restaurants have put their own spin on. One of my favorites is from the Yard House. They make theirs with shiitaki mushrooms and top it off with parmesan cheese. It’s simply delicious! So, one day while salivating at the thought of these noodles, I thought: What’s stopping me from making a Dukan-friendly version of garlic noodles? The answer — nothing!
I made this recipe for lunch today and I have to say: It was the BEST shirataki recipe I’ve tasted thus far! Shirataki noodles definitely work best with asian-style dishes and this is one of them.
- 2 packets fettuccine shirataki noodles
- 3 medium mushrooms, diced
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 tbs splenda brown sugar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbs regular or vegetarian oyster sauce
- optional: reduced fat parmesan cheese for garnish
- Boil shirataki noodles for 3.5 minutes with 2 dashes of salt and strain.
- Microwave noodles for 1 minute and use paper towels to dry off any additional liquid.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat cooking spray on medium heat and saute mushrooms and garlic until fragrant.
- Add brown sugar, soy sauce, and oyster sauce. Add noodles and toss in sauce.
- Pan sear noodles on medium-high heat until all liquid is absorbed and noodles have a nice seared brown color.
- Add green onions, cook for 30 seconds and remove from heat.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese if desired.