Up to yesterday, I had set a personal goal for myself to make a new blog post on a daily basis. Unfortunately, the combination of a doctor’s appointment, oil change, volunteering, and dog sitting did not leave me much room in the day to cook and/or write a new post. It stinks that my daily posting streak had to end but, at the same time, I’m a bit relieved. My schedule will only be getting busier from here, especially with my starting of a grad program in the fall. So, keeping up with this blog every single day would’ve eventually become impossible. Now that the pressure’s off I can relax a bit but, of course, will still try to post at least a few times a week.
With that said, here’s a recipe post now! Frenchforfoodies.com posted this tiramisu recipe on her blog awhile back and I have been dying to try it. So, at 12 AM tonight (or, I should say this morning), I finally did. I made a few changes to the recipe and it still came out pretty good. One small complaint I had was that the dessert wasn’t quite sweet enough so be sure to sweeten it to your liking. Other than that, it is a solid recipe!
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg white
- dash cream of tartar
- 10 packets splenda (+extra to sweeten layers to your liking)
- 1/6 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbs fat free cream cheese
- 8 tbs fat free vanilla greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup brewed espresso or any strong coffee
- 1 tbs cocoa powder
- splash of vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine and whisk together egg yolk, 10 packets splenda, 3 tbs cream cheese, 4 tbs greek yogurt, and vanilla extract.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk egg white and cream of tartar until stiff.
- Slowly add cornstarch and whisk it into the mixture.
- Gently fold egg-white mix into egg yolk mix.
- Pour mix into a small baking dish lined with foil.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 16-20 minutes or until firm to create a sponge cake. Allow to cool.
- Brew coffee sweetened to your liking.
- Then, mix 2 tsp cocoa powder into the coffee.
- Mix together 3 tbs cream cheese and 4 tbs greek yogurt. Sweeten mix with splenda to your liking.
- In a souffle cup, layer coffee, sponge cake, dash of cocoa powder, and sweetened cream cheese mix (in that order).
- Repeat these layers and finish with cream cheese mix topped with a dash of cocoa powder.
- Refrigerate for 6 hours to allow the spongecake to soak up the coffee.